Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Surprises and the joys of jet lag

Well I decided to pull a surprise...and it has been my best one so far.

Last Monday my professor had a family emergency back in the States while we were in Turkey.
Initially, because we thought things were ok, we decided to stay for the remaining 3.5 weeks of our trip.
By Tuesday evening she decided her family needed her and we all decided to come home a little early.

I had already told my family on Monday that we had decided to stay so I decided not to tell them we had changed our mind to come home and I would surprise them.

So we drove for 2 days, stopping at Iznik, and taking the ferry back to Istanbul.


It was a bit cold and super windy that day - hence the kaffia.

We left Friday morning for the airport, flew to New York City and then flew back home to SLC.
16 hours on a plane baby.

One of my best friends Laurie picked me up at the airport at 11pm and took me home to Provo.

On the way back we discussed how we were going to surprise my mom.
Laurie and called Stephie and said she needed to drop something off (so Steph had no idea I was coming).
Steph informed Laurie that my mom was asleep on the living room floor so we decided to sneak in and wake her up.

When Steph saw me she fell on the floor.
When I woke up my mom (very nicely of course) it took her a second to register my face and realize she wasn't dreaming.
It was kind of cool because you could see her pupils widen and then shrink.
When she realized it was me she gasped and we had some fun.

My baby sister Bug was the funniest though because she woke, saw my face, and didn't think I was real so she reached out and grabbed my face.  She said hi and then fell asleep again.
A minute or two later she shot up and asked me why I was in the U.S. because I was in Turkey.
It was funny.

My dad was similar, he grabbed me to make sure I was real and then asked if he was dreaming.

It was a good surprise.

So I am home now, 3 weeks early, and super, super jet lagged.
I am not allowing myself to sleep during the day and my body is refusing to sleep at night.
Also I am having a lot of nausea and headaches which is no fun.

Oh well, each day gets better and in a few more, hopefully, my internal alarm will have reset.

Yay for surprises!

No comments: