Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Glorious Ephesus and ashtray theaters

Yesterday was very long, hot, and wonderful.
We started the day going to one of the wonders of the ancient world:
The Artemision.


Other than foundations and a few ducks there is not much left of it.
Which is unfortunate because it would have been absolutely unbelievable.

Here is Bruce ticking of the ducks.
They hissed at him and then turned their backs and ignored him.


After that we went to the theater at Ephesus.

This theater is theorized to be the closest in size to the Great Theater in Apamea, Syria that I wored on 2 years ago.

It was pretty fantastic and I had a lot of fun surveying this theater.


The site of Ephesus is MASSIVE.
We went to the Church of St. Mary there as well.
Bruce liked the walk-in, dunk, and walk-out baptismal font.


The famed Library of Celsus is also on this site.
Seriously folks, I am seeing just about every classical piece I have ever seen in my textbooks on this trip.



That also includes Hadrian's Temple at Ephesus.
I include it here because it was on my Roman Archaeology midterm.
Basically I am letting Cyndy know that I still remember it.


Finally the famous Nike from Ephesus.


We did a little shopping as we were leaving.
Bruce bought me a miniature theater.
In an effort to avoid sentimentality he reminded me that I could use if for an ashtray...if I ever picked up smoking. 

Not likely.

Other than that episode, Bruce wasn't to entertained by our shopping so he endeavored to entertain himself.

By trying on hats.

Women's hats.


It was a good day overall.

Today we are heading to Iznik to see the theater there as well as see where the famed Iznik tiles were made.

More shopping may be in order here.

:)



No comments: