Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A little of Istanbul and a little of Constantinople

Well we arrived in Turkey!

We've spent the last 2 days in Istanbul and I have had an absolute blast!

Here goes.

Day 1:

First things first - I saw my first Egyptian obelisk!


We went to the Blue Mosque.


and the Byzantine Cisterns.
(these were my favorite)


Day 2:

Started with an absolutely delightful breakfast on the roof terrace watching the ships in the bay.


Then we went to the wonderful Haggia Sophia.


This is the view from Haggia Sophia towards the Blue Mosque.


Next we went to the Archaeological Museum and I saw the Alexander sarcophagus!
Just in case you were wondering it is not Alexander the Great's sarcophagus but it is called the Alexander sarcophagus.


One of my favorite pieces in the museum was a sarcophagus covered by mourning women.
It was so beautiful.



Next we went to the Tokapi Ottoman Palace, 
saw the ground (beautiful), 
the Harem (a depressing gilded cage), 
and had a delightful lunch overlooking the sea.


All in all an absolutely wonderful day.

Tomorrow we are driving around and eventually taking a ferry towards Troy.

Yep, Troy.

Yay!!!

♥ ♥ ♥


No comments: