Sunday, March 2, 2008

Super Swank Day

Today started out really rough but turned into a marvelous end to a pretty great weekend. On Saturday I went to a dance conference at the U of U and it was wonderful. It was terrifying for me to attend something that I felt was totally out of my league and go by myself but it turned out wonderful and it was a wonderful day.
After that I went home and spent some time with my family. After a rough morning today I discovered that my car smelled like a gas station when I turned it on. So my dad and I decided that it would be a very bad idea to drive it back to school....I think that was a very good decision. So my dad decided to take me back to school and drop some more fresh california oranges off.
I love spending time with my dad on campus. It has become a place where we can hang out together without the pain of the past to bother either of us. It becomes a neutral ground for me and it gives me a way to connect and relate to him that I never had before. I am very grateful for this blessing. Today we walked around parts of campus and compared all of the new changes with what he remembers. My favorite parts was looking at the view from the pavillion at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni Building, talking about childhood memories in each building and one of my favorites is when he took me to the place that the old football field was when BYU was incredibly young. We went to the area that used to be the top of the bleachers and looked at what was now the Richards Building. There is still rusted pieces of metal that connected to the cement foundation that made up the bleachers. If you know what you are looking for you can totally tell that they used to be bleachers. It was so amazing! I get shivers just thinking about it. It could just be the archaeologist in me going crazy with the joy of history!!!
I remeber my old high school. It was so old and there were so many memories and people there through history that you could feel it in the air. I think each person has an impact on not only the people around them but the very air and ground they touch. I say this because you can feel a certain thickness in the air of places with history. I love it!!!!

No comments: