Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th

On September 11, 2001...

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock radio.
In the middle of the song the DJ said that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center.
Half asleep I didn't think it was real.

As my mom drove me to school that day I told her, but she didn't believe me.
I thought I had dreamt it.

As I walked into class every television was on and it was real.
I was in my freshman English class when I saw the south tower fall live.
I couldn't breathe.

I don't remember much else after that morning.
We were sent to all our classes, but I don't remember doing anything.
By lunch the principal of our school asked the teachers to turn of the television.
When I got home that evening we prayed as we watched rescue workers attempting to find survivors.

That was my September 11th.

Today I am grateful for the gospel that gives me perspective in the face of tragedy,
for my country,
and for the example of people who sacrifice themselves in an effort to save those around them.
That is what it is to be truly Christlike.

9/11 we will never forget.


No comments: