Thursday, March 1, 2012

Such an enlightening morning...

...and only 6:30 am!!!

I have been able to stick to my goal of studying my scriptures every morning (from 6 - 6:30) and it has made such an impact on my days.

This morning I was reading from 3 Nephi 21. The verse that had the most impact on me this morning was 29, it says:

29 And they shall go out from all nations; and they shall not go out in haste, nor go by flight, for I will go before them, saith the Father, and I will be their rearward.

Initially I thought the last word of the verse was reward...which made sense, having the spirit of God with you is definitely a reward, but it isn't...it is rearward. What?

So I followed the footnote to Isaiah 52: 11-12 which is nearly identical and ends with the word "rereward"...good grief, I don't know that one either.

Footnote time.

The footnote says: OR rearguard (rearguard makes more sense to me, someone who has your back)

There was another reference to Doctrine & Covenants 49:27 which gives a little explanation, also I just love these verses:

26 Behold, I say unto you, go forth as I have commanded you; repent of all your sins; ask and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you.

27 Behold, I will go before you and be your rearward; and I will be in your midst, and you shall not be confounded.

28 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, and I come quickly. Even so. Amen.

So what did I learn from my scripture study today?

AT LEAST 3 things (the 3 most important)

1. I am blown away by how connected the scriptures are. I started with a question about 1 word in 1 verse and by following the footnotes; I not only found my answer (the meaning of rearward) but so much more than that. I started in the Book of Mormon, moved over to the Old Testament, and ended in the Doctrine & Covenants. Using all of these, I found a fullness of knowledge. Amazing.

2. My Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ has got my back (He is my rearward). Something I learned from D&C 49:26, is that all I have to do is ask, because he loves me.

3. Finally, and most importantly, things are done in God's time. The first thing I read, 3 Nephi 21, especially in verse 29, was that despite my excitement, God goes first, and then we come to share what we learn.

♥ ♥ ♥

Anyway, long post, but wonderful morning.

♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: